Also called Blue Beech
More About Carpinus caroliniana
- Rounded to oval crown, with wide spreading branches
- Attractive, yellow or green catkins
- Catkins turn into distinctive clusters of winged nutlets
- Serrated, dark green leaves in the summer turn yellow, orange and red in the fall
- Smooth, gray bark has distinctive, muscle-like fluting
- Bloom Time: Early spring
Native to Ontario and parts of North America.
Blue Beech/Musclewood Growing and Maintenance Tips
A relatively low maintenance plant, attractively shaped, understory tree for shady sites. Suitable for lawns or naturalized in woodland areas. Available as a multi-stemmed clump or tree form.
Carpinus caroliniana Characteristics
Moist to Average
Flowering TimeEarly Spring
Landscape usesWoodland/woods edge