More About Clematis paniculata
- AKA Clematis terniflora, Clematis dioscoreifolia, Clematis maximowicziana
- Flower colour- Delicate white flowers
- Flower size- 3cm
- Bloom time- July to September
- Pruning group- 3
- Attractive silver seedheads
- Leaves are mid-green, 12.5cm long, with 3 ovate leaflets
- Vigourous habit
Due to the many varieties available; clematis are grouped into one of these three catagories for pruning and maintenance:
- Group 1: Early Bloomers (April-May) - Buds are produces in previous growing season. Prune after flowering but no later then July. Don't cut into the old woody stems.
- Group 2: Large Flowering Hybrids (mid-June and rebloomers) - Blooms on short stems from previous years growth, and often reblooms on new growth in late summer. Prune in March, by removing all dead and weak stems, and also to the first top plump green buds which could be anywhere from 2-30 centimeters from tips. Plants can be pruned to about 60cm after first bloom for a new foliage flush, but no second bloom will occur.
- Group 3: Late Flowering - Flowers form on the last 60-90cm of current seasons growth. Some bloom as early as mid- July and continue into the fall. In March, prune each stem, leaving the lowest 2-3 buds. The new growth should be tipped back at about 30cm to produce more branches and therefore more flowers.
Sweet Autumn Clematis Growing and Maintenance Tips
Clematis paniculata prefer rich, moist to average, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade. Roots need a cool environment to thrive, so it is recommended to plant a groundcover or shallow-rooted perennial to protect it and also mulching is suggested. Plant with the crown 3-5cm below soil surface. Clematis are slow to establish and may not have a lot of growth or flowers the first year because a good root system is essential to a mature plant. Plants will need to be tied to a trellis or fence initially for it to begin climbing.
Clematis paniculata Characteristics
- Partial sun/shade
- Full Sun
- Deer Resistant
- Dark Green
- Moist to average
- Well Drained